Fire damages Villisca home Thursday

Photo provided by Brian Hamman, Montgomery County Emergency Management Agency

Firefighters from multiple area departments tackled a blaze in Villisca Thursday.


At around 6:30 a.m. on Dec. 2, the Villisca Fire Department was dispatched to 102 E. 1st St. on a reported residential structure fire.


The first engine on the scene reported heavy fire coming from the upstairs, northeast room windows. Fire crews were able to quickly verify that everyone had exited the structure and fire suppression operations began.


The fire was primarily contained to the upstairs northeast bedroom. There is significant smoke and water damage to the remainder of the home, however, according to the information from the Red Oak Fire Department it is repairable. 


According to Red Oak Fire Chief John Bruce, the fire originated in the upstairs bedroom, possibly from an overloaded extension cord or electrical cord.


One minor child did receive a minor burn, was treated by Villisca Rescue and released to a parent. There were no injuries to fire and rescue personnel.


The amount of damage is unknown at this time.  The American Red Cross was contacted to assist the family as needed. Firefighters were at the scene for roughly two and a half hours.


The Villisca and Red Oak Fire Departments were assisted at the scene by Villisca Ambulance, Red Oak Rescue, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, the Montgomery County Communications Center, the Villisca Power Company, Villisca Public Works, and the Montgomery County Emergency Management Agency.

The Red Oak Express

2012 Commerce Drive
P.O. Box 377
Red Oak, IA 51566
Phone: 712-623-2566 Fax: 712-623-2568

Comment Here