Fire damages Villisca building
Multiple area first responders tackled a fire in Villisca on Feb. 9.
At 6:49 a.m. the Villisca Fire and Rescue Dept was dispatched to 303 E 5th Street in Villisca, owned by Cecil E. McCuen, Jr., for a reported structure fire.Upon fire crews’ arrival, heavy smoke was coming from the strcture. It was confirmed there were no occupants inside and defensive exterior fire ground operations were started.
Once additional fire crews arrived, the fire ground operation were changed to an offensive interior fire attack. Upon interior fire attack and suppression operations, firefighters had made the initial knockdown and were working their way through the structure when one firefighter fell through the floor from the second floor.
Immediate rescue operations were begun and the firefighter was able to exit the structure. The firefighter was treated and transported by the Villisca Ambulance Service and Red Oak Rescue.
Mutual Aid response brought the Stanton, Grant, and Red Oak fire departments. Additional assistance was provided by the Montgomery County Emergency Management Agency, Montgomery County Communications, the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office, Villisca Power, Villisca Public Works, and the American Red Cross.
The fire was deemed under control and extinguished at 9 a.m. Fire crews did a final walkthrough checking for hot spots, and none were located. Fire ground operations were terminated a short time later.
The injured Villisca firefighter was treated at Montgomery County Memorial Hospital and later released.
The fire originated in the area of a wood burning stove. The damage amount is unknown, but there is considerable water and smoke damage, as well as fire damage to the inside of the structure
The Villisca Fire Department extended its appreciation to all the agencies that responded, as well as, the excellent work on behalf of the Montgomery County Communications operator.